FireStorm/SDO Product Overview
FireStorm/SDO provides database persistence based on the Service Data Object (SDO) specification. FireStorm/SDO is particulary useful for high performance applications that have a Service-Oriented Architecture.
FireStorm/SDO consists of an SDO Runtime and an SDO Code Generation Tool.
The FireStorm/SDO provides a pure Java implementation of the SDO specification, allowing existing relational databases to be accessed using the SDO API.
FireStorm/SDO can be used as part of a standalone application running in J2SE or as part of an enterprise application running in J2EE.
In addition to a pure Java implementation, CodeFutures intends to provide pure C++ and also hybrid Java/C++ implementations ofFireStorm/SDO.
The benefits of FireStorm/SDO Runtime:
- Provides an instant dynamic Java API onto any database
- Allows data to be located using XPath expressions
- Decouples development of client and server applications; no need to redeploy server components when schema changes
- Supports connected and disconnected modes
FireStorm/SDO Code Generation Tool
FireStorm/SDO can import existing database schemas (from a SQL script or from a live JDBC connection) and can then generate a static Java API for accessing the database. The generated code extends the SDO dynamic API giving the developer the choice of using static or dynamic DataObjects as defined by the SDO specification.
The technical benefits of using the SDO code generator:
- Generated interfaces do not depend on the SDO API therefore client applications to do need knowledge of SDO to compile
- Greater type-safety and compile-time error checking
- Does not require any changes to database stored procedures, views, or tables.
CodeFutures has jointly developed FireStorm/SDO as part of an alliance with Rogue Wave Software.